Select Board

Tuesday, July 18, 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Selectboard

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 944 6027 6391

Passcode: 650146

Meeting of Selectboard

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Tom Hankinson, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Patricia Duffy, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Melissa Colbert, at 7:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Present: Tom H.
  • Melissa C.
  • Pat D.
  • Margie M.
  • Lisa S.
  • for the Select Board. Also present: Eva G.
  • Annelise O.
  • Mitch M.
  • Steve F.
  • all residents
  • and George B. for the Montague Reporter

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:00 PM

Meeting closed: 8:50 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. Appointments

    • 7:00 : Post dog hearing check-in

      General Discussion...
      Lisa S-W and Barbara C. were present for the follow-up to the dog hearing but the dog owner, Mitchell LaClaire did not attend. The Board waited for an hour, continuing with other business. It was decided later that since there is no animal control officer that they will ask Chief Minckler to follow up with the dog owner and ask that come to the next meeting to let the board know how restraining the dog is going. Margie will call Scott. Margie also reminded the Board that they received two more letters of complaint.

  3. Business

    • - Bruce Spencer attend another meeting?

      General Discussion...
      The Board was not ready to make a decision about the Spencer property yet. The board has received positive feedback from the public. It’s a concern that there is no cost analysis. Margie said that the bridge to a private residence also is a concern; the town already has 9 bridges that are liabilities. Suggestions were offered about how to work around the bridge to gain access to the land. Tom, Eva, and Matt B. will walk the land together to see if there are possible work-arounds and report back at the next meeting and try to come up with a cost analysis. Lisa will invite Bruce Spencer.

    • Accept Mike Reske two-week notice

      General Discussion...
      Passed over.

    • Complete Streets Policy

      General Discussion...
      Margie will send the Board draft policies for the Complete Streets Program and the Board will revisit the issue in a month.

    • Discuss letter to Energy Committee re: decarbonization

      General Discussion...
      The board discussed their desire to have a meeting with the Energy Committee to discuss Tom’s goal of decarbonizing the town. Tom will draft an agenda for that meeting and Lisa will invite the Energy Committee to the Aug. 15 meeting.

    • Eco-harvester at Leverett Pond boat access?

      General Discussion...
      Mitch Mulholland, representing Friends of Leverett Pond, gave a slide show/presentation on the Eco-Harvester that will be working on the pond in mid-August. (Tom recused himself from the discussion as an FLP member and landowner on the pond.) FLP was asking for the town to pay for the eco-harvester to work at the town-owned boat launch area for an hour at $300/hr. to clear out the weeds for boaters. After the presentation Pat expressed her concerns about disturbing the area and said that she thought it wasn’t necessary and had received feedback from residents that agreed with her. Melissa asked follow-up questions of Mitch and Pat trying to reach a consensus but was unable. Request tabled.

    • New Library Substitute Appointment

      MOTION, moved by Melissa Colbert, seconded by Patricia Duffy: Motion: To appoint Ralph Hurwitz as Library Substitute contingent on CORI and physical. Vote: 3-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Melissa Colbert, Patricia Duffy, Tom Hankinson.

    • School outdoor challenge course

      General Discussion...
      Margie received a call from Joan Godsey asking if the Board would give its support to the school for revamping the outdoor challenge course.

      MOTION, moved by Melissa Colbert, seconded by Patricia Duffy: Motion: To give full support to the school to improve and restore the challenge course at the school which is in the woods, not in the field. Vote: 3-0 in favor.

      Pass: Aye: Melissa Colbert, Patricia Duffy, Tom Hankinson.

  4. Sign:

    • - Fire Chief Contract; Short-term accounting services with FRCOG; recycling contract for Transfer Station; non-citizen voting language.

      General Discussion...
      The Board signed the Fire Chief Contract; short-term accounting contract with the FRCOG; recycling contract for the Transfer Station; and non-citizen voting language for the legislature.

  5. Mail

    • - 137 Depot Rd; Franklin Conservation Dist (Sawmill River assess); FERC; letter from Shutesbury Select Bd.; abutters notice tree cutting 257 Montague Rd; FRCOG Annual Report

      General Discussion...
      Melissa will call Chief Minckler to see if he would be willing to meet with her and the Police Chief in Shutesbury to discuss the miscommunication from the State Police exercise last month in Leverett and Shutesbury.

  6. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes approved on Thursday, Aug 10, 2023

Posted to: Select Board on 2023-07-05 10:34:42 (updated 2023-07-05 10:34:42).