Historical Commission meeting

Monday, August 14, 2017, 7:00 pm until 8:30 pm
Town Hall
A meeting of the Historical Commission

Meeting of Historical Commission

Members: (Quorum)

  • Present: Susan Mareneck, Chair, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Edie Field, Honorary, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Susan Lynton, at 7:00 PM
  • Present: Anne Schuyler, at 7:00 PM

Also Present:

  • Eva Gibavic
  • Mitch Mulholland

See original Agenda Approved Meeting Minutes

Meeting opened: 7:10 PM

Meeting closed: 9:20 PM

  1. Meeting Preliminaries

  2. 1. Update - Digital Archives Project & Cemeteries (SM, SL & EF)

    • Cemetery Preservation Campaign - - Update: Cemetery Preservation Campaign (EDDM); - - Update: Cemetery Preservation Campaign (EDDM): 20 donors/ $901 as of 7/27/17. - Update: Tamara Conde/ Jackson Hill conservation progress?

      General Discussion...
      - $1,000+ has been raised for the Cemetery Preservation Campaign to date. Edie received a donation from an 82-year old Maynard with a note. She is writing Thank You’s; will ask for assistance if needed.
      - Edie will be in touch with Tamara Conde to monitor conservation progress at Jackson Hill Cemetery; CPA funded project.
      - Do we want to ask Tamara to give us a recommendation on which cemetery (of those eligible in NRHD) might be best candidate for an MPPF application?

    • Cemetery research - - Update: Cemetery research UMASS History grad. student (Nolan Cool) completed work on updating Form E for Long Plain/ Hillsboro during July 2017. - “Grave Matters in Leverett”, talk by Nolan Cool and Austin Clark, Leverett Library 8/8/17

      General Discussion...
      - Nolan & Austin’s talk on 8/8 was well-attended (35). It was entertaining and informational; many compliments received. SM will inquire whether they would be willing to have us post on LHC page of Town Website, LHS or Family Museum websites.
      - Nolan has submitted Long Plain/ Hillsboro “Form E” to Michael Steinitz @ MHC. Michael responded that pictures must printed out in a certain format, which he offered that MHC could do for us this time.

    • Digitizing Leverett Archives Project - Digitizing Leverett Archives Project - - Update: NL Baptist Church archives to Digital Commonwealth/ Boston Public Library?

      General Discussion...
      - Edie suggests a visit to NL Baptist church to view archives and decide on appropriate containers to send to BPL for scanning.

    • Preservation Planning - - Information from MHC on cemetery preservation planning; MPPF funding for Chestnut Hill/Mt. Hope?

      General Discussion...
      - SM will contact Chris Skelly, MHC to schedule a meeting regarding preservation planning.

  3. 2. History related/ Cultural Event possibilities – (SR, EF, SM)

    • - - Update: “Education in Leverett…” Meeting with Alyson Bull at LES, 7/19/17. Invitation letters to go out by end of August.

      General Discussion...
      - We hope to meet/ set dates for interviews with LES teachers/admin. once their schedules are set (late August/early September), then send letters to potential narrators for the oral histories on “Education in Leverett – Village Schools to Consolidation” project.
      - Lisa sent a research request from a CA resident (Carol de Santis!) about Boutwell family history to Susan and Edie. Discussion regarding what policy should be re research requests. SM will look into fee structure for research in other towns. Should it be through LHC or LHS? Will query Lisa and Mik. (Edie has responded and is working on the request.)

  4. 3. Strategic Planning for Historical Assets Survey (AS, SL, SM)

    • Town-wide survey/planning - - Update: Town-wide Historical Assets Strategic Planning initiative. - Connection with Conservation Commission Open Space Planning - Connection with oral histories for “Education in Leverett” project - Work with MHC (Chris Skelly) on possible Survey and Planning grant/process? Lenox Survey & Planning grant example. - Field Library CPC application?

      General Discussion...

      - Want the Historic Assets Survey to go into October newsletter. SL will contact members to get feedback on questions draft of which she presented copies to those present.
      - We need an historical assets inventory with descriptive info to go with it. This needs to be assembled in the next month. A meeting with Chris Skelly, MHC, would be desirable as well. SM will set up.
      - Regarding the Open Space Planning for Leverett, underway through the Conservation Commission, we need to revise the Section B – History of Leverett before September meeting (9/27). Eva Gibavic mentioned “Multiple Properties Listing” as a possible category for “Historic Cemeteries of Leverett” SM ask Betsy Friedberg at MHC? EG will help us create maps of the cemeteries and historic districts for the OSP document. She also mentioned that in MA, burials are not “protected”. (Mitch Mulholland offered to assist with documenting any archaeological sites.) Eva mentioned that she is “walking the bounds of Leverett.”

      1. Lenox-Scope-Preservation_Plan-061417_(1).docx
      2. Historical_Commission_Strategic_Plan.final.pptx
      3. OSRP_Update_Process_Leverett_FINAL_4-6-17.docx
  5. 4. LHC Yearly Preservation Restriction Monitoring: (AT, AS, SM, EF)

    • Historic Preservation restrictions - - Scheduling dates to visit local CPA funded sites in fall? - Update: National Register Historic District signage - Preservation MA “Cruising Commonwealth” session, Greenfield, 8/1/17.

      General Discussion...
      - SM and Dave Finn marked signage locations. SM noticed that on MHC MACRIS database the Leverett Center NRHD is represented by an incomplete map. * We need to provide an assessor’s map version of the district. SM will try to locate the original application in our files or contact MHC.
      - SM reported that the idea of local tech schools instituting a “historic trades/practices” shop that would practice by assisting towns with restoration of their historic properties was well received.
      - Scheduling visits to CPA-funded sites in town will wait for more members to be present to make a decision.

  6. 5. LHS

    • LFM Summers Hours + - - New summer hours: 2nd & 4th Saturdays 10-1:30pm, except for 7/15 or by appointment. Call 413-548-9452.- Donations to MC School House Collection: equipment from Town Garage (scythes/ sharpening stones); desks from Ann Ferguson. - Need to meet to reboot programming and efforts.

      General Discussion...
      - Discussion about LES visit to MC School House as part of the “Education in Leverett” project. Edie mentioned that Cliff Graves’ son Doug, lives on Bull Hill Road. He worked for the town and might have ideas for the Historical Assets Survey?

  7. 6. New Business

    • Next meeting - Memorial Day 2018? - (All) - Outreach to local veterans to see if they would like to plan “Memorial to Leverett Veterans for Memorial Day 2018?” Should this be part of Historic Assets Survey? - Plan for Leverett 250th in 2024? Also included in Historic Assets Survey? - Other business? Next meeting date: 2nd Monday is Patriots Day holiday (and 9/11). Can we plan to meet on 9/18?)

      General Discussion...
      - Mitch Mulholland reported that LCA will celebrate 50 years this fall. There will be a September exhibit and history section on the box shop, the era of 20,000 chickens and since the ‘60’s and Joe Barnes – LCA. Exhibit will be ½ history/ ½ art. Mitch will give a talk on the history of the building. They hope LHC will support and help publicize events. He will get back to us with a firm schedule; perhaps post on Family Museum, LHS and LHC webpages/sites? They might borrow display boxes from Family Museum to display chits, ledgers, etc.. from Beaman-Marvell Box Shop.
      - land owned by town (holding conservation restrictions) such as Rattlesnake Gutter Conservation Area – who owns it? What are the legalities? SM mentions that Chris Skelly said he wonders about Land Trusts as effective preservation tools.
      - We need a policy regarding membership on LHC and attendance. SM will send out query to membership for suggestions.
      - We should include planning for 2024 in the Historical Assets Survey.

  8. Meeting Wrap-up

The listing of matters is those reasonably anticipated by the Chair which may be discussed at the meeting. Not all items listed may in fact be discussed and other items not listed may also be brought up for discussion to the extent permitted by law.

Minutes prepared by Susan Mareneck

Minutes approved on Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017

Posted to: Historical Commission.